If you pass along North Queen Street you will notice that work on the mural to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the McGurk’s Bar Massacre is at an advanced stage and already attracting great interest.
The families have been busy raising funds and have already hosted a very successful event in the Dockers’ Club last month which helped raise well over £2K.
This Friday, the Glen Park will be playing host to a night of live music and great craic in order to help raise money for the final stage of work for the commemorative mural. Doors open at 8 pm and all door money will go to the commemoration fund.
Alex McLaughlin who lost his father, Thomas, in the atrocity, says they are expecting another great turnout as the last event was so successful.
We have a great live band lined up and a disco after, so make sure to come early to avoid disappointment. Tickets are only £5 although you can pay at the door. All this money will help us in the final push to finish this fine piece of art which will be the centrepiece of our commemoration on 4th December this year.
The community has already been very supportive and turned out in droves at the Dockers’ event. Judging by the interest we’ve already for the event in the Glen Park, it will be another great night. We will also be exhibiting photographs, archives and newspaper articles that charts the four decades from the moment the bomb exploded, the cover-up in its aftermath and the families’ campaign for truth.
Venue: Glen Park (map)
Pay at door: £5 only and all door receipts go to mural fund
Date: Tonight, 18.11.1
Time: 8pm til Late
Live music and disco, craic agus ceol
Film: Loss of Innocence
- @worwillie @demicker @ConflictNI the BIG elephant in NO courtroom ;) 10 hours ago
- @demicker @ConflictNI aye, thon dodgy evidence just seems to appear from nowhere without substance or substantiation http://t.co/8A3SiLwBuO 11 hours ago
- Fruit and Veg Man: "Can I slice this for you, madam?" @jenniehammond: "Wha-do-ya think I am - a piggy bank?" HAHA http://t.co/OqoedGSy5C" 11 hours ago
- G'wan Maigh Eo! 13 hours ago
- Via @demicker: “@LizziePhelan: Murder of Colombian Union Leader Sparks Scrutiny of Corp. Giant Nestle | Alternet http://t.co/EbbScmTuak” 19 hours ago